Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Yolanda and the 3 Quarters

Coming back from the library, on the Teal shuttle bus, guess who my driver was - yep, Yolanda. She weaved in and out of the traffic, beeping anyone who held her up for a split second, listening to the baseball commentary on the radio, loudly. I forgot to mention before that she wears black driving gloves, so if you can't tell by her general demeanour, the gloves prove it. She means business.

Whilst waiting for the shuttle, I was approached by a very weather beaten oldish woman, who asked if I had a dollar for 4 quarters. In her hand were three quarters; do I look like an idiot? I apologised and said I didn't have one. She headed off in another direction, proving that she only had 3 quarters to my mind as I was on a crowded pavement, but not before she had quizzed me on where I was from. I told her, to which she proclaimed that she had done some study somewhere or another where there had been some students from Brighton. She came up close and stated that they had been intelligent, good lovers, and great drinkers. With that, she welcomed me to the country and headed onwards, to try to get a dollar from someone else.

1 comment:

Mima said...

Sounds as if you are going to be getting to know the drivers very well, and that you have got some real characters. The next challenge is going to be to try and get to know Yolanda - be warned it is going to be difficult as a non-chatterer, but I bet it will be worth a go!