Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gratis

They say there is no such thing as a free lunch, and 'you don't get something for nothing' but they (again) are wrong. I have had many free lunches, others may have called them leftovers, but to greedy bored office workers, a not quite curly yet sandwich can be the highlight of the afternoon. But that was my old life.

This week alone without even trying, I have had the following freebies; food (samples from the Farmer's Market, a bag of popcorn to go with our free film showing, chocolate samples, pumpkin cake), beer (a brewery tour which gave out 3 free American pints*, and 2 bottles with the free film), an outdoor film (this one will come as no surprise, see food and beer), hot chocolate, eye cream and an insult. My visitor, Holly, got a free makeover and Mike got a free cupcake and 2 badges. I was also offered a make over, twice,** and some cider which I declined. I have not included things like free refills, or products or anything which meant spending some money first.

I was the recipient of some free advice and directions from a very well meaning and generous soul on the bus but unfortunately his directions were wrong and I chose to ignore them. I also got to see a free air show whilst soaking up the sun, and more wonderful, the most heart warming drama, played out in the arrivals lounge of San Francisco International Airport, in glorious technicolour. Whilst I waited for Holly's plane to land, I was able to watch grandparents wait expectantly for their young grandchildren, who, brimming over with exhaustion and excitement ran into their open arms; lovers with single roses reunite with their loved ones with warm embraces and a shower of kisses; and even drivers with handwritten placards waiting for strangers with a curious impatience gratefully shaking hands with relieved and weary travellers. Tears of joy fell on my ears and the beauty of the every-day exploded in front of my eyes in an unrelenting stream of wonder. I really could have stayed there all day, which is a good thing as I am there again tomorrow to meet Dan's plane and casual observers get to watch an impatient girl with her own packed lunch turn from agitated to overjoyed in the blink of an eye.


* smaller but still very well received
** it appears I am more ugly than I thought.

No comments: