Friday, October 3, 2008

A long time to get to a point and then some chat about sandwiches and rain, probably brought on by too much wine

You know those evenings when you have partaken in some black bean and rice enchiladas (they sound horrible but let me assure you, they rocked) and delicious local wine from a tetrapak, when ideas come upon you, which at the time bridge all the gaps in your life and the world, and yet in the morning can be hastily dismissed, if even remembered. It's a munchie-induced right the world, or get rich quick, or indeed, come up with the best sandwich filling.

I've had some of my best debates at times like these, and whilst I haven't been moved to navigate my way across a country with a kitchen appliance, or try to find my namesake 54 times over, sometimes the soul of the idea flutters around me biding its time.

All this is very nice, but what I wanted to say is this. Despite the fact that we invented the sandwich, and are pretty much known for it across the world, the US has raised us two and matched us two (this may or may not be a gambling phrase but it sounds about right to me). I believe that it is part of the constitution which says that soggy, pathetic, bland and dubiously filled with a limp lettuce afterthought, sandwiches are just not allowed. I haven't found one yet; but I find myself still looking for a good sandwich which isn't the same price as a week's rent in the UK. One thing which we will take back home with us is the art of a good sandwich. They pile them high and stuff them with crunchy and squidge in correct proportions on good hardy bread (well hardy anyway, I'm worried I am getting use to the sugar overload) and use mustards and pickles and sauerkraut and things which I really don't like, but which raise the piquancy of these sandwiches to levels hitherto unexplored.

By the way, it's raining. It was promised but I didn't expect it and was out in my shirtsleeves all day, but now, its quarter past eleven and the smell of the air has changed. The rain is pouring continuously and soaking everything in its path, and despite the fact that everything we have planned for the weekend is outdoors, it feels wonderful. I should have expected it of course; today was the day that our windows finally got cleaned. As predicted ( I really could write this life stuff) there were big dirty marks left all over, but now, the rain will wash them all away, and I really could not be happier.

No comments: