Friday, July 25, 2008

The food parcel

Extract from Google chat earlier this afternoon:

him: hiya - Did you get my mail about the package?
me: got it. I could weep, big shuddering tears of joy
him: Thanks, that's great
me: It's from Siobhan
him: Reeeellly :) Did you open it?
me: no - but the contents are on the top. It has made me very, very homesick. It must have cost a bomb.
him: Oh goodness. She's lovely isn't she? What did she send?
me: We can open it together when you get home. I've never cried before after getting a parcel.
him: Red-Siobhan-Cross aid parcels are different. Crying's allowed.


I received a parcel today, from the kindest pair in the whole wide world. I have never been moved to tears by a brown package before (in this case a massive heavy box), but today was the day. I haven't open it yet because I am waiting for my husband to get home, but I know what is in it thanks to the customs declaration on the outside, which must have taken forever to type out alone!

I am salivating as I compile this list: Wholemeal bread mix, dairy milk, fruit and nut (how long can we make them last I wonder?), Marmite (I am rubbish at making that last - every day there is some new excuse why I should have some), Clotted fudge, Marmalade, Yorkshire tea (you really don't know how thrilled I am with this one - I didn't think I would have an issue with American tea. I didn't think I had a tea problem. I thought I could deal with it. The 'English style' teabags we have are OK but one cup a day is about my limit, but this sweet nectar will be savoured and cherished*), mushy peas, Angel Delight, (yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!), Bird's custard, mini Jaffa cakes (I won't even pretend these will last longer than it takes to open the packet - curiously, my first craving was for a jaffa cake!), Jelly Babies, Heinz Baked Beans (truly marvellous - the US version is also made by Heinz and are in a can, and that is where the similarity ends), Jacob's Cream Crackers, KP Choc Dip, Hartley's Orange Jelly, Colman's Mustard Powder, Ginger Cake Mix (the sort of thing I should make up and share. I'll think about it), Roast Beef Gravy, Polos (cue massive smile as these remind me of the present giver anyway due to her childhood, and adulthood actually, sweet tooth), Terry's Chocolate Orange, (I'll see what the use-by date is and save for Christmas if I can, for a tiny festive taste of home), some coco pops, rice crispies and frosties, salted peanuts, spag bol mix, Malteasers hot chocolate, Horlicks, Galaxy hot chocolate, bread sauce mix and Caesar dressing mix.

I really couldn't have chosen better myself. My weekend has just started on a high. In the time it has taken to type it all out, I have opened it. I couldn't wait, showing you just how impatient I am...

A massive, public, thank you Siobhan and Richard so very, very much for your generosity!




* in fact, frugal as I am ( I deplore waste) we foolishly bought some American tea. I drank a sip and didn't touch it again. I would prefer to go without. We left them in our holiday apartment.

4 comments:

earthfromtheground said...

Yay! it actually took longer to 'type out' the FDA Prior Notice than if I walked across the Atlantic to give you the box. For EVERY item you have to select the group of food, the sub group, the tradename, the packaging material type, the packaging format, the address of the manufacturer, the weight and the dimensions...phew..about 2.5 hours of work...BUT YOU ARE WORTH IT!! So glad you are happy...but what about the English trashy mags? were they confiscated??

Anyway enjoy and never expect it again, I can't deal with the red tape!

blues singer said...

That makes it EVEN better. Every day here is about red tape, so I guess I am a little more numbed to the experience. Yes, the trashy mags came through. Mike, pretending to be appalled, read Viz cover to cover and laughed like a drain! The wedding photos were lovely, but did there have to be my breasts falling out of my dress in every shot? And, do I ever close my mouth? It has been an eye opener! Thanks again..
we have eaten the jaffa cakes, and the choc dip (which I am now using as a 'cool' pen pot on our new desk, classy eh?)

Mima said...

Mikey promised to provide an address weeks ago, and never did, but the next food parcel is on me for sure, you will have to let me know what you are running short on as it sounds as if you have been stocked up for a bit!! I used to live in Grand Cayman for 4 years, and I still remember those parcels and especially the marmite in them!! Just heaven!!

blues singer said...

Thanks Mima! It sounds like a real trial to do, and soon enough we will have to learn to adapt to the natives diet..