Thursday, July 10, 2008

It all comes down to bread

A Londoner by birth, I find myself a long way from home. My husband has a job in San Francisco for a year. I am along for the ride. Until that is I apply for a work permit, which may take some time. So, I thought I would try to record for posterity a few observations of my new home. (I will however say that my research into American culture thus far has gone no further than Bill Bryson books, Hollywood films, and countless stereotypes which tend to seep silently into ones pores, so I plan to enjoy my year, proving those typecasting pores of mine wrong hopefully - it kinda worked in Liverpool, but that's another story...)

So, everything is bigger.
People are friendly and people do wish you a nice day! Cute.
It's very clean on the whole, like the nation is run by OCD - which is frankly excellent, and after some of the public toilets I have visited in my life, I wish good old Blighty would take a leaf out of its American counterparts' books.
The telly is really bad, but the adverts are frequent and mesmerising. Pure comedy gold.
Noise is constant, but that just maybe where I live.
Food is too sweet.

Actually, food is proving to be an issue, for one who cares deeply about it.

I was led to believe that food (as well as general cost of living) over here was going to be so much cheaper. This is a downright lie. Sure, it is cheaper to eat out here than it is to eat in England, and I am guessing people eat out a lot more, but it still isn't cheap! For those who want to cook for themselves, it is challenging (at face value anyway). Supermarkets seem to be few and far between and half the size of ours; unlike the Tesco metro on every corner, with a Tesco Extra a mile away in any direction from where you live we have got used to of late. There are corner shops a plenty but the prices sky high. When you actually make it to a supermarket, the food is really expensive, especially anything healthy. Our first trip was to Calafoods, a supermarket sort of near where we are currently staying, as recommended by my Not for Tourists book. Pah! Then we plugged for Safeway as it was a name I recognised. 5 tomatoes cost me $8. Say no more. Then, glory of glory, we discovered Trader Joe's which is frankly, ace, but there aren't enough of them. It's worth the hike though. Supermarkets sorted.

Alas, next problem. The food is far too sweet for my palate (and I pride myself on my sweet tooth - my girth takes some beating let me assure you). Why did no-one tell me this important stuff before I came? No wonder they don't have what is surely the epitome of umami, Marmite. The bread is so sweet, you hear your teeth decay as you chew. No wonder dentistry here is good; born out of necessity methinks.

It was suggested to me that I try Anderson's the bakery and try to get my grubby little mitts on an English loaf. I felt like a fool going in and asking with what sounded like the Queen's accent (in contrast only!) for an English loaf. It cost $3 for what to me is half a white tin loaf. It was OK, but white. I knew granary was off the cards, but white bread is a thing of my childhood and that is where it is staying thank you very much. Still, it's early days and I shall find ways around it I'm sure, like quitting my whinging and making my own. It's only bread.

I have even acquired some Marmite, a gift from one who must be the most generous soul in the world - see I told you that San Franciscan's were friendly. Now we can add magnanimous to the list.

No comments: