Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Race for Life

Today I took part in the Knowsley Race for Life, a 5K walk for Cancer Research UK which took place in the 2,500 acre grounds of Knowsley Hall, outside Liverpool, UK. Except that well, since I joined up to participate, I have obviously moved, so I did my walk in the 1017 acre grounds of Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California, US. The race started at 7.30pm in Knowsley, which was 11.30am San Francisco time (except that I thought it started at 7pm so actually set off at 11am, oops) so the Rose's Revenge team (sort of) walked in tandem, across continents.

Golden Gate Park was beautiful and I really enjoyed my walk. I had to leave my trainers in the UK due to lack of luggage space, so put on my stout doc martins instead. Shoes which mean business. The weather was on my side - it was the most miserable day I have seen her so far. It is warm again as I type this but as I had to re-enter polite company when the walk was over and sit on a bus with others, I was glad of the chill. I had my Ipod on and shuffle all tunes really delivered. To Jimmy Cliff's 'I Can See Clearly Now the Rain Has Gone' I began my stomp. As The Holloway's 'Generator' was drawing to a close, I had to catch my breath. I had seen photos of the entrance to the Japanese Tea Garden in my guidebooks but it was truly stunning in person. The tranquility of the place even cut through the noise of my tunes - so I took out my earphones in respect. I couldn't stop but I plan to go back for tea and look around the gardens properly, and at $4, that is a bargain in my book. I also had a quick look at the outside of the de Young (a Fine Arts Museum), a massive, gorgeous building flagged with palm trees. It was swarming with tourists, but has been highly recommended, so again, I will be back.

I tried to keep away from the tourist traps and instead joined the many walkers and runners on many different trails. I found Lake Stow and walked round it, inhaling the glorious smell of pine. I am not green fingered in any way and generally kill any plant I try to nurture, but it seemed to me that the number of different plant species was incredible, and the park was so well maintained. The lake was full of pedalos and a couple of rowing boats, which I will not be returning to do as I find bodies of water better to look at then climb into a small plastic or wooden bucket in order to propel yourself round. I digress. I was in search for the waterfall and I found it. It was small and cute, and manufactured rather than natural. Not that I am being picky.


I managed to get lost in the Botanical Garden as I hadn't anticipated its size. I didn't measure the distance but my legs told me when I had done my 5K and I had walked solidly for just over an hour and a half at a steady pace. I must have only covered about a quarter of the park and thought that it was beautiful, fragrant, peaceful and relaxing. I felt better after an hour an a half of park time than 8 hours sleep. Now I am refreshed and ready for my next adventure.


If you would like to donate to Cancer Research UK, please click
HERE! There is still time (that statement is a bold one since it will obviously depend on when you are actually reading this). Well, it was worth a try.

My photos are bound to get much much better.

1 comment:

Matilda's Mum said...

i would indeed like to sponsor your picturesque walk through the park but the link doesn't work. Can you post again? Can you check your skype for a message from me too? ta